GULFPORT (WLOX) - Island View Casino Resort's team of skilled chefs won eight medals at the recent Culinary Classic, an annual competition sponsored by the Gulf Coast Chapter of the American Culinary Federation. This holiday season, their award-winning chefs are sharing a sweet treat, perfect for Christmas gatherings.
- Using a high-sided heavy pan or cast iron Dutch oven, pre-heat shortening to 325 degrees.
- Cut each biscuit in half, roll into ball, - and flatten to 1/2" thickness with fingers, slightly stretching dough. Press both sides of dough in brown sugar until well embedded.
- Deep-fry each in hot oil, turning to brown evenly (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels lined up side by side (for even sugar dusting distribution).
- Place powdered sugar and cinnamon in a sifter and dust both sides of fried dough while still hot. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, sauté apples in butter until golden brown. Add dried cranberries, apple juice, and bourbon whiskey. Cook out alcohol (2 minutes).
- Add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and orange marmalade. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved and is thick/syrupy. Remove from heat. Place dollop of mixture on fried dough rounds.
- TOPPING: Sprinkle each with ground walnuts pre-tossed with brown sugar & cinnamon.
- OPTIONAL: With star tipped piping bag, pipe Vanilla Chantilly Cream (recipe below) on top of each.
3 cups (24 oz) heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)