Crab 'n' Corn Bisque from Paul's Pastry
- 5 to 6 Cups strong bread flour
- 3 Pkg rapid rise yeast or instant
- 1/3 Cup oil
- 1 Tblsp salt
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups or slightly more of warm water
Mix all of these together until well incorporated. Place in a covered bowl, in a warm place to rise. After rising for 45 minutes, punch down and divide into 8 portions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Knead each portion and shape into round pieces. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; use 2 sheets if necessary for space reasons. Let rise for 20 minutes in a warm place. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it sounds hollow when thumped. Let cool and hollow them out before serving the soup.
- 2 quarts water
- 6 crabs
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 Tblsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 onion quartered
- 1/2 celery, halved
- 1 garlic head cut in half to expose the cloves
- 1 lemon, halved
Bring to a boil for 25 minutes, then strain & reserve the liquid. Clean and pick the crabmeat out of the crabs and reserve for the soup.
- 1 1/2 LB butter
- 1 whole celery, chopped medium
- 2 colossal onions, chopped medium
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped medium
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped medium
- 3 Tblsp chopped garlic
- 6 ears of corn-cleaned and cut off the cob
- 1 Lb crabmeat
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 Tbls Tony's Creole
- 1 Tbls Garlic Powder
- 3 Tbls Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 Tsp cayenne
Saute all of these ingredients together until tender, about 25 minutes. Next add 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and stir until blended. Pour in reserve crab stock. Let cook until thickened, about 3 minutes and then add 1/2 gallon of milk and 1 qt of half and half. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes, then turn to simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the cleaned and picked crabmeat, stir, and then adjust spices to taste.
For more information about Paul's Pastry click here.