GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - The Seabee Base in Gulfport is celebrating 75 years. The then "Naval Defense Depot" first opened in South Mississippi on June 2, 1942. They Navy chose Gulfport to help with defense planning during World War II because it had the necessary port access to the Gulf and our warm climate allowed for year-round training and shipping.
Two years later, the depot became a full-fledged training facility for engineers and electricians. It was decommissioned in 1946 and became a storage area for stockpiling materials like copper and tin.
In 1952, the U.S. Naval Construction Battalion Center was created, and our modern day "Seabee Base" was born. It expanded in both military and civilian personnel during the mid-1960s as there was an increasing need for naval construction forces in Southeast Asia during the Korean War.