Officers on jet skis rescue dog thrown from I-110 bridge

Published: Jul. 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 1, 2016 at 9:48 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
An accident on I-110 in Biloxi Friday sent a dog flying over the bridge and into the water....
An accident on I-110 in Biloxi Friday sent a dog flying over the bridge and into the water. (Photo source: WLOX)

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - A dog that fell six stories into Biloxi's Back Bay Friday afternoon is doing well after being rescued by officers on jet skis.

It all started around noon when a 2000 Nissan Altima headed south on the I-110 bridge started to spin out of control. Biloxi Police officers headed in the opposite direction on the bridge saw the car slam into the wall twice before coming to a rest facing on-coming traffic.

Officers immediately ran through traffic to render aid to the driver when suddenly, a medium-sized dog jumped from the back seat window and over the retaining wall of the bridge, falling about 50 to 60 feet into the water.

Police radioed for help rescuing the animal using boats. The Department of Marine Resources Law Enforcement also came to help, and DMR jet skis were on the scene within minutes. The police officers on the bridge were able to signal the dog's location to the DMR officers below.

Officers Michael Fitts and Matt Kasovich picked up the dog from the water about 10 minutes after the accident.

"We were ready to launch the jet skis to go on patrol when we got the call," Kasovich said. "That's how we were able to get to the dog so quickly. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

Fitts is a cadet who began field work at MDMR two weeks ago.

"I pulled up, and the dog came right to me," he said. "I pulled him up and put him on the runner of the jet ski. He stayed right there. He was shaken up and a little scared, but he was OK."

No other vehicles were involved in the crash, and the dog was rescued in good condition and returned to its owner.

"We were happy to assist in this rescue and grateful that the person in the car and the dog were not injured," Marine Patrol Chief Keith Davis said.

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.