Advertisement

Keesler must eliminate 38 more civilian positions

Published: Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM CST|Updated: Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - The Air Force required a second round of cuts to its civilian workforce.  As a result, 38 people at Keesler Air Force Base will lose their jobs.  This comes two months after Keesler eliminated 68 positions from the 1,607 civilian authorizations in the 81st Training Wing and 403rd Wing.

In a news release sent to WLOX.com, Brig. Gen. Andrew Mueller of the 81st Training Wing said, "These reductions are a result of Air Force initiatives to further streamline installation support, trim the size of management headquarters and tailor support requirement for training development and management."

The Air Force reduction builds on the realignments announced in November, including the elimination of 9,000 positions and the addition of 5,900 positions against the Air Force's top priorities. In addition, these reductions respond to the Secretary of Defense's direction to target civilian funding at fiscal year 2010 levels.

These reductions are consistent with Air Force-wide initiatives to reduce the overall workforce, Mueller said.

"The technical training mission which has been a Keesler mainstay for more than 70 years remains an important part of the Air Force and is sustaining the core competencies of the Air Force mission in air, space and cyberspace," Mueller said.

In an effort to encourage voluntary separations and retirements, the Air Force is currently offering its second round of voluntary separation incentive pay and voluntary early retirement authority programs. Keesler civilian employees received VERA/VSIP eligibility surveys from their personnel managers earlier this month and the applications are due no later than Jan. 30. Approved applications will result in separations or retirements that take effect by April 30.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.