The temporary suspension on permits for high rise buildings in Biloxi expires next week, but that doesn't mean construction will begin any time soon.
Last month the city council put the brakes on projects like Seabreeze and Portofino. On Tuesday the council will decided whether to extend the moratorium until September 29th.
Ward 3 council member Jim Compton sponsored the resolution. He says he wanted enough time for the council to vote once the Planning Commission makes its recommendation and then another 30 days for an ordinance to take effect. Compton says he's pushing for the delay despite the fact that one developer has threatened to sue the city.
"Balancing what Keesler is asking for and balancing the needs of the condominiums, I think we would be better of delaying the condominiums a little bit longer and then getting all the information that the planning commission has been looking at and making a final decision hopefully on July 29th," said Compton.
A coast attorney says further delaying pending high rise condos will cost the residents the Biloxi. Britt Singletary represents Seabreeze Condominiums and Treasure Bay Casino. They are two of the developers affected by the moratorium. This is what he told WLOX about the proposal to extend the delay.
"The moratorium was an ill-conceived idea in the first place because it's just gonna end up in mass litigation," he said. "Somebody is gonna pay for this and the way it looks it's gonna be the taxpayers of Biloxi."
The Biloxi City Council meeting will be this Tuesday at city hall at one thirty in the afternoon.