BILOXI, Miss. (WLOX) - COVID-19 has caused a blood shortage across the country, causing organizations like The Blood Center to increase the number of drives held each week.
Gina Necaise, The Blood Center’s coastal region coordinator, said when schools switched to virtual learning, that put a dent in donations. As of Nov. 16, The Blood Center’s blood supply across South Mississippi is down to one day’s supply, which is about 400 quarts.
“Really we like to see a three-day supply, so we want to make sure and build up those donations, making sure the inventory is available for patients that need it,” Necaise said.
Necaise wants those who have had COVID-19 to keep in mind their plasma is still needed, which will help current people with the virus.
“We are able to use that plasma as a treatment and you build up the antibodies once you’ve had the virus," Necaise said. "So we encourage people who have had COVID to go to our website, and there’s a link on there for plasma,” Necaise said.
If you missed the blood drive at Edgewater Mall Monday, here’s a list below of upcoming blood drives:
- Tuesday, Nov. 17 - Scarlet Pearl Casino, 11 a.m-7 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 19 - Gautier Donor Center, 11 a.m-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov.24 - Waveland Walmart, 10 a.m- 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 25 - Gautier Donor Center, 8 a.m-1:30 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 27 - D’Iberville Walmart, 10 a.m- 4 p.m.