SOUTH MISSISSIPPI, Miss. (WLOX) - Counties and cities across the Coast are making sand available ahead of tropical weather likely to affect South Mississippi.
Harrison County has sand and bags located at all of the following work center locations, as well as Courthouse Pier and Long Beach Harbor.
- Harrison County Road Department - 10076 Lorraine Road
- D’Iberville Work Center - 10085 1st Avenue
- Lyman Work Center - 15001 County Farm Road
- Long Beach Work Center - 605 North Seal Avenue
- Orange Grove Work Center - 8300 34th Avenue
- Woolmarket Work Center - 16395 Old Woolmarket Road
The City of Gulfport Public Works Department is placing sand, bags and shovels at the following locations:
Supplies should be ready by noon Saturday, Sept. 12.
Staff will be available beginning Sunday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and will continue through the week as needed. Residents will need to fill the bags themselves. However, our staff will help those who need assistance.
The on-call crew will monitor the sand and bags after the designated times to determine if additional materials are needed.
The City of Biloxi has self-serve locations at:
- Popp’s Ferry Recreational Soccer Fields- 2150 Popp’s Ferry Road
- Todd Migues Park 425 Parker Street
- John Henry Beck Park - 671 Division Street
- Biloxi Fire Station 8 - 8479 Woolmarket Road
- Biloxi Fire Station 9 - 9370 Oaklawn Road
Please bring your own shovel.
The Hancock County Emergency Management Agency will have self-serve sand and sand bags at the following locations beginning Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.
- Hancock County Horse Arena, 4184 Kiln Delisle Road
- Old Hancock County Complex, 3068 Longfellow Drive
- Lakeshore Community Center, 6440 Lower Bay Road
- Bayside Fire Department, 6215 West Hinds Street
- West Hancock Fire Department, 16006 Washington Street
- Diamondhead City Hall, 5000 Diamondhead Circle
(Also, shovels will not be provided at this location so please make sure to bring your own.)
The Jackson County Office of Emergency Services announced the self-serve sandbags will be available after 10 a.m. on September 13, 2020 at the following locations:
- Ocean Springs, Public Works Department, 712 A Pine Drive
- Gautier, (Behind the City Hall), Highway 90
- Ocean Springs, West Division Roads Department, N Washington Avenue (Hwy 609)
- Moss Point, Forts Lake Fire Department, 10701 Forts Lake Road
- Vancleave, Central Division Roads Department, 8500 Jim Ramsey Road
- Moss Point, New Central Fire Station, 4204 Bellview Street
- Pascagoula, Jackson County Fairgrounds, 2902 Shortcut Road (sandbags will be available beginning at 10. a.m.)
- Ocean Springs, Fontainebleau Fire Department, 3901 Hwy. 57 South
- Moss Point, East Division Roads Department, 10825 Hwy. 63
- Ocean Springs, St. Andrews Fire Department, 1401 Elm Street
- Ocean Springs, Civic Center, 3730 Bienville Boulevard
- Latimer Community Center, 10908 Daisy Vestry Road
- St. Martin, West Jackson County Fire Department, 15324 Big Ridge Road
- Escatawpa Fire Station, 3801 Sentinel Drive
The City of Picayune has self-serve sandbag locations at the following:
- Leola Jordan Park at 903 East Canal
- First Pentecostal Church 123 Kendrick Lane
- J P Johnson Park 403 Rosa Street
- Mildred Mitchell Park 1901 Danial road
- Vacant lot on Pinewood Drive
Filled sandbags will also be issued at 309 Stephens Street on Sept. 14 from 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with a 10-bag limit per city residents.
We will update this story as more locations are announced.
For the latest on Tropical Storm Sally, keep up with our WLOX First Alert Weather Team.