SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - With schools currently closed over coronavirus concerns, districts and volunteers are teaming up around South Mississippi to make sure no child goes hungry.
Here is a list of the organizations we know about that are offering food for children ages 18 and under.
- Non-perishable food donations are being accepted Downtown Ocean Springs Nutrition from 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, as well as to Mosaic Church, St. Paul United Methodist Church, First Presbyterian Church, and Ocean Springs Education Foundation. Non-perishable food donations are being accepted at Downtown Ocean Springs Nutrition, Mosaic Church, St. Paul United Methodist Church, First Presbyterian Church, and Ocean Springs Education Foundation.
- Starting March 19 from 10:30am to 12:30pm, the Biloxi School District will hand out free meals to children 18 years and under. Children will receive two meals each day (lunch for the day and breakfast for the next morning). Parents and children will remain in their vehicles. The meals will be provided via curbside service in the normal car rider lines at Gorenflo Elementary, North Bay Elementary, and Popp’s Ferry Elementary.
- Volunteers are also distributing 300 meals every day this week at these locations: Emerald Pines Apartments, the Forest Heights Boys & Girls Club and Morning Star Baptist Church.
- The nonprofit Extend a Hand, Help a Friend and Climb CDC will serve 350 meals a day to children and those without transportation. Meals will be passed out at the Climb CDC Resource Center, located at 5001 Old Pass Road, from noon to 1 p.m.
- Gulfport School District will provide meals to students while schools are closed beginning Thursday. Students can come to Gulfport Central Middle School, Central Elementary School, Gulfport High, and Pass Road Elementary School for a free meal. Breakfast at 8 a.m. Lunch at noon. Buses will also go through some neighborhoods distributing meals. Certain special needs students will have meals delivered.
- Officials from District 4 - along with Extend a Hand, Help a Friend and Harrah’s Casino - will serve hot lunches to school-aged children from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Mt. Olive Lodge #83, located at 8280 Alabama St.
- Pascagoula-Gautier School District is feeding its students through a Grab and Go sack lunch program available Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at College Park Elementary in Gautier and Colmer Middle in Pascagoula. Please drive to the cafeteria entrances and you will be directed on how to obtain the lunches.
- Moss Point School District will provide breakfast and lunch meals available by bus delivery to existing bus stops or by pick up from each school cafeteria. Breakfast pick-up will be from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at each school with delivery beginning at 8 a.m. Lunch pick-up will be from noon until 1 p.m. with delivery beginning at 11 a.m.
- Uncle Joe’s Pizza and Wings, located at 16829 Kapalama Drive, will give a slice of pizza and a brownie to all children between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., Monday through Friday, to help anyone in need while school is out.
- Cuevas Too, located at 16940 Kapalama Drive, will give a free Kids Chicken Strip Meal and a cup of ice cream to all children. Drive-thru available from Noon to 2pm.
- Starting Thursday, March 19 from 11am to 1pm, DeLisle Elementary School and Pass Christian Elementary/Middle School will serve free meals to children ages 18 and under. Children will receive two meals each day (lunch for the day and breakfast for the next morning). Parents and children will remain in their vehicles. The meals will be provided via curbside service.
- Savory Roots, located at 6340 Kiln-Delisle Road, will allow children to eat free from their kid’s menu from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. through March 20. No purchase is necessary. They will also a 20% discount to all school staff who have proof of employment.
- Gone Fishing Ministries and The LAD Project are teaming up to provide meals for children five days a week. Gone Fishing Ministries will free hot meals Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. until noon at 322 Davis Avenue. The LAD Project will provide bag lunches Tuesdays and Thursdays from noon until 1 p.m. at 234 Davis Avenue.
- Beginning Monday, March 23, the Long Beach School District will provide free meals (lunch for that day and breakfast for the next morning) to all children 18 years old and younger. Drive through the west side of Quarles Elementary (bus lane-Reeves Street) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The child must be present to resieve the meal. Adults may purchase a meal for $3 (exact amount required).
- George County School District will provide free meals beginning Wednesday, March 18, 2020. The meals will consist of a bag lunch and one snack item. Parents who wish to participate should call 601-947-4318 between 8-10 a.m. each day requesting a meal. Parents should be prepared to pick up meals at George County Middle School between 11 a.m. and noon. Please have children present when picking up meals. It will be a drive through service/grab and go. Parents will have no need to exit the vehicle.
- Hancock County School District is offering free lunches beginning March 23 until further notice. Lunches can be picked up at South Hancock Elementary and Hancock North Central Elementary from 11 a.m. to noon. Meals will be distributed by drive-through grab-and-go. Children must be present in the vehicle to receive a meal, however, no one has to exit the vehicle. These meals are available to all children, regardless of whether or not they are student in the district.
- Bay-Waveland School District is offering meals via a drive-through service at Bay High and Waveland Elementary. The service is available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Meals will be available to each child in the vehicle under the age of 18.
- Beginning Thursday, March 19, the Harrison County School District will be providing free drive through Grab and Go meals to all children ages 18 and younger. The child must be present to receive a meal. They can be picked up weekdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following nine school locations: Crossroads Elementary School, D’Iberville Middle School, Harrison Central Elementary School, North Gulfport Middle School, Pineville Elementary School, Three Rivers Elementary School, Woolmarket Elementary School, West Harrison High School, West Wortham Elementary/Middle School.
- Captain Wils Land and Sea (23481 Central Drive, Saucier) is offering sack lunches to all children under 18, Monday-Friday 11 AM - 1 PM.