South Mississippi closings, event cancellations due to coronavirus
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - With fears spreading over COVID-19, some public events have been canceled in order to minimize the risk of infection.
Here is a list of places and/or events that we know about:
- The Hibernia Marching Society’s St. Patrick’s Day parade in Biloxi and Grillin’ on the Green have been pushed back to the fall. A release from the City of Biloxi says both the parade and Grillin’ on the Green will take place sometime in September or October. The city’s Special Needs St. Patrick’s Day dance will also not be held. The St. Patrick’s Day 5K run has also been canceled with a tentative plan to reschedule for Nov. 14.
- The City of Waveland’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade has been pushed back to an undetermined date.
- The Krewe of Blarney St. Patrick’s Day parade, which was scheduled for March 14, has been canceled.
- The Gulf Coast Symphony Orchestra is canceling its March 14 performance at First United Methodist Church, Gulfport
- Barbecue Under the Oaks fundraiser for the Gulf Coast Symphony is canceled. Anyone who purchased tickets can contact the Gulf Coast Symphony Orchestra by at 228-896-4276 or email@example.com.
- The Ocean Springs School District Job Fair scheduled for March 14 has been canceled. Applicants are still encouraged to visit the district website for employment opportunities.
- All activities at Harrison County-owned recreational facilities are suspended for two weeks.
- Jackson County Industrial Trade Show scheduled for March 17 has been postponed. We will update this report with the new date once it is released. The crawfish boil scheduled the night before the Trade show will also be postponed.
- Breakfast with the Secretary featuring Secretary of State Micheal Watson scheduled for March 18 has been postponed.
- St. Patrick High School has rescheduled this year’s Shamrockin’ the Coast to Saturday, Aug. 22, at the Beau Rivage Resort and Casino.
- The 7th Annual Feed the Need concert and fish fry to benefit The Lord Is My Help originally scheduled for April 19 has been postponed indefinitely.
We will update this report as more events are canceled or postponed.
Copyright 2020 WLOX. All rights reserved.