One person hurt in Gulfport house fire

One person hurt in Gulfport house fire
Gulfport firefighters spray water on a house on Indiana Avenue in North Gulfport on Tuesday morning. (Source: John Fitzhugh)

GULFPORT, Miss. (WLOX) - One person was severely injured in a fire Tuesday morning at a home in Gulfport.

Firefighters responded to the house on Indiana Avenue in North Gulfport. The call came around 10:30 a.m.

Gulfport Fire chief Mike Beyerstedt said “our crews got in quickly, found a victim and were able to pull him from the structure. He is burned fairly significantly."

“Our crews are providing the best services they can for him right now,” he said. “We’re just hoping for the best.”

Paramedics worked on the victim in the front yard of the house while firefighters continued to extinguish the fire.

The victim was taken to Memorial Hospital at Gulfport to be stabilized and was later flown to the University of South Alabama Burn Center.

Beyerstedt said the fire appears to have been caused by a space heater.

Copyright 2019 WLOX. All rights reserved.