Shed, travel trailer catch fire after wind shifts flames in fire pit

Shed, travel trailer catch fire after wind shifts flames in fire pit
Flames destroyed a shed and camper trailer at a home on Landon Lake Boulevard, a neighborhood off Landon Road. (Source: WLOX)

HARRISON COUNTY, Miss. (WLOX) - Firefighters in Harrison County spent the morning putting out flames at a a large workshop and trailer on Landon Lake Boulevard.

Authorities say the homeowner was burning debris in a fire pit around 8 a.m. Monday. According to county fire chief Pat Sullivan, the fire was under control when the homeowner stepped away for a few minutes.

In that short amount of time, the wind blew the flames to a shed nearby. The shed ignited and the blaze quickly spread to a travel trailer. By the time, the homeowner discovered the fire, it was too large for him to control it.

Chief Sullivan says the homeowner did not do anything wrong, but this is a valuable lesson to always be diligent when having a controlled fire and to make sure there are always the appropriate tools nearby to put out the flames if needed.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2019 WLOX. All rights reserved.