July, our usual wettest month of the year, could be dry

The first six months of 2019 has been dry for much of coastal Mississippi

BLOG VIDEO: 7-1-19 June recap. July preview.

SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Much of our region is coming off of a dry June. And July tends to be our wettest month of the year, on average.

Around seven inches of rainfall normally occurs in July, according to climate data from the Gulfport airport. Their wettest July on record brought over a foot of rainfall.

July is typically the wettest month of the year in Gulfport, MS
July is typically the wettest month of the year in Gulfport, MS
So far, 2019 has been drier than normal in Gulfport, MS. Rainfall is about 10 inches below normal as of July 1.
So far, 2019 has been drier than normal in Gulfport, MS. Rainfall is about 10 inches below normal as of July 1.
The first six months of 2019 has been dry for much of coastal Mississippi. However, areas between Poplarville and Wiggins have seen quite a wet year so far.
The first six months of 2019 has been dry for much of coastal Mississippi. However, areas between Poplarville and Wiggins have seen quite a wet year so far.

But, this month, we could see drier than normal conditions as well as warmer than normal conditions, according to the Climate Prediction Center (CPC). Their July outlook calls for about a 37% chance for a drier than normal month, a 33% chance for a near-normal month, and a 30% chance for a wetter than normal month.

Normally, this hot summer month brings afternoon temperatures in the lower 90s with morning temperatures in the mid 70s. But, 2019′s July is shaping up to possibly be hotter than normal. The CPC outlook calls for a 45% chance for warmer than normal July, a 33% chance for a near-normal July, and a 22% chance for a cooler than normal July.

July outlook calls for drier than normal conditions for our region.
July outlook calls for drier than normal conditions for our region.
July outlook calls for warmer than normal conditions for our region.
July outlook calls for warmer than normal conditions for our region.

Copyright 2019 WLOX. All rights reserved.