The heat is ON for this first day of summer! We have seen more dangerous heat today, and it looks like it will last into the foreseeable future. There is a Heat Advisory in effect for all of South Mississippi today until 7 PM.
Heat Index values will be between 100° and 110°. Because of our hot temperatures in combination with our high humidity, it will make it feel much hotter resulting in dangerous heat. When the humidity is high, it is harder for your body to cool off through the evaporation process.
Heat stroke or heat exhaustion could occur if people and pets are not adequately cooled and/or hydrated. Way to protect yourself:
- Drink plenty of fluids like water and Gatorade or Propel,
- Seek relief from the heat in air-conditioning or at least shade
- Check on relatives and neighbors
- Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible.