BILOXI, Miss. (WLOX) - There is a Heat Advisory is in effect for South Mississippi counties: Pearl River, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson until 7 PM this evening. The heat will stick around for the foreseeable future, so Heat Advisories could be a daily occurrence.
Each day, we will see a few isolated showers. Those few people who see showers will get a brief break from the heat. But when the showers clear and sun returns, it will be like a steam bath outside. Heat Index values will be very high between 100° and 110°.
Be safe in the heat. Drink plenty of water. Take frequent breaks while working or working-out in the heat.
Tips to help you beat the heat:
- Find air conditioning if possible. If not, find shade.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Take frequent breaks while working outdoors.
- Wear light clothing.
- Check on family members and neighbors.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water is best.
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car. If it is alive, don’t leave it in the car.
For more information on heat safety, check out the heat section on ready.gov.