HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Buying and selling on the web makes shopping a lot easier in today’s world. With personal sales platforms like Facebook Marketplace gaining momentum, buyers and sellers are in need of safe places to exchange goods.
Harrison County Sheriff Troy Peterson enacted an idea that is currently sweeping the nation... the Internet Purchase Exchange Zone.
With twelve locations throughout Harrison County, Sheriff Peterson said that the program has been running for over a week.
“We felt it was needed to where people can go to a spot that is being recorded, 24 hour surveillance,” said Peterson. They can meet at that spot, and everything that they exchange is on video.”
Peterson said that in addition to internet sales and exchanges, some people have been using it for child custody exchanges as well.
“People can use it for child custody issues. If they want to bring their child and exchange them in this area,” Peterson told WLOX. “It’s somewhere safe that is always under surveillance.”
Exchange zones are in locations where businesses are already located. Peterson told WLOX that the equipment is not owned, operated or monitored by the Sheriff’s office. Because of that, the equipment was not purchased with taxpayer money. The equipment is owned and monitored by the businesses that have agreed to participate and cooperate with sheriff’s office investigations, should any arise.
The twelve locations where the exchange zones exist are as follows:
- A Royal Flush Plumbing at 12465 Canal Road, Gulfport
- Clarks at 10006 Canal Road, Gulfport
- First Place at 19485 Highway 67, Saucier
- Highway 53 Quickstop at 26333 Highway 53, Saucier
- Kountry Colors and Subway at 23379 Highway 53, Saucier
- Menge Mart, Interstate fuels at 8045 Menge Avenue, Pass Christian
- Neco’s Market Place at 12342 Cable Bridge Road, Pass Christian
- Pure Country at 9620 Canal Road, Gulfport
- Pure Country at 10166 Lorraine Road, Gulfport
- Robinwood One Stop at 18447 Highway 49, Saucier
- The Smoke Stop at 8441 Kiln Delisle Road, Pass Christian
- The Stop and Geaux at 16303 Highway 53, Gulfport
Each location will have a sign marked Internet Exchange Location with the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office logo on it. The signs and parking places are within view of the surveillance cameras. People are encouraged to do their transactions near the sign for maximum coverage.