JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - Governor Phil Bryant has declared a State of Emergency after severe weather blew through the state on Thursday.
The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has received damage reports from 35 counties due to tornadoes and severe storms that impacted the state on April 18.
So far, the National Weather Service (NWS) in Jackson has confirmed two tornadoes in Hinds County. They will continue to deploy survey teams throughout their coverage area until they complete all possible tornado assessments.
There were two deaths during the storm, however only one is confirmed to MEMA as a storm-related fatality.
Hundreds of houses and businesses sustained damage as trees fell and power lines snapped.
Initial damage reports by county (assessments ongoing):
- Adams: Power outages reported
- Amite: One storm-related fatality
- Chickasaw: Homes damaged
- Claiborne: Power outages reported
- Clay: Multiple roads flooded, couple of trees down
- Clarke: Trees down; power outages reported
- Copiah: Multiple power outages reported
- Forrest: Trees down
- Franklin: Power outages reported, homes damaged, several roads flooded
- Harrison: Trees down, power outages reported
- Hinds: Towns of Raymond, Utica, Learned and Clinton have significant damage.
- NWS Jackson confirmed an EF-1 in Clinton and an EF-2 in Oakley.
- Jefferson: Widespread power outages reported, trees down, multiple homes and businesses damaged.
- Kemper: Unknown number of homes damaged
- Lamar: Trees down
- Lauderdale: Power outages reported, trees down.
- Lawrence: Power outages reported
- Leake: Damage reported in towns of Lena, Edinburg, Renfroe and Walnut Grove
- Lincoln: One storm-related fatality
- Lowndes: Trees down, power outages reported
- Madison: Multiple homes and business damaged
- Neshoba: One storm-related death, multiple homes damaged, power outages reported.
- Noxubee: Multiple homes damaged, power outages reported
- Oktibbeha: Several roads flooded, multiple homes damaged, trees down.
- Pike: Power outages reported
- Perry: Multiple homes and businesses damaged
- Rankin: Power outages and downed trees reported
- Scott: City of Morton reporting widespread damage; homes damaged throughout the county. NWS Jackson survey team assessing tornado damage
- Simpson: Multiple homes and businesses damaged
- Smith: Widespread damage in the Polkville area
- Walthall: Power outages reported
- Warren: Multiple homes damaged, power outages reported, trees down
- Wayne: Power Outages reported
- Webster: Homes damaged
- Wilkinson: Power outages reported
- Winston: Power outages reported, multiple homes damaged
We will update this story when more details are available.