HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - The Harrison County Sheriff’s Office is now offering a solution for those worried about making purchases from strangers on the internet.
There are now 12 monitored Internet Purchase Exchange Zones around the county, allowing residents to conduct their transactions at any of the locations knowing the exchange is being recorded by a surveillance camera.
Each location will have a sign marked “Internet Exchange Location" with the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office logo. These signs and parking places are within view of the surveillance cameras. Users are encouraged to conduct their transaction near the sign for maximum coverage.
The locations are at at the following:
- Menge Mart, Interstate Fuels at 8045 Menge Ave. in Pass Christian
- Pure Country at 9260 Canal Road in Gulfport
- Clark’s at 10006 Canal Road in Gulfport
- Neco’s Market Place at 12342 Cable Bridge Road in Pass Christian
- Robinwood One Stop at 18447 Highway 49 in Saucier
- First Place at 19485 Highway 67 in Saucier
- Pure Country at 10166 Lorraine Road in Gulfport
- Kountry Colors and Subway at 23379 Highway 53 in Saucier
- Highway 53 Quickstop at 26333 Highway 53 Saucier
- The Smoke Stop at 8441 Kiln Delisle Road in Pass Christian
- A Royal Flush Plumbing at 12465 Canal Road in Gulfport
- The Stop and Geaux at 16303 Highway 53 in Gulfport
When anyone arranges a meeting with a person over the internet, situational awareness is very important to your overall safety. These areas are much safer because of constant surveillance and the general public in the area.
General social media transaction safety tips:
- Insist to meet at a public place
- Don’t go alone
- Trust your instincts
- Do not meet in a secluded area
- Do not invite strangers into your home and do not go into theirs
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours
- if it sounds too good to be true, it normally is
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions
- Take your cell phone with you