STONE COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - WLOX News Now is learning more information about a carbon monoxide leak at the Stone County Jail. Saturday, inmates had to be evacuated from the jail after officials discovered there was a leak present.
After one inmate had to be transported to the Stone County Hospital Saturday due to the presence of the gas, another inmate was also taken to the hospital after the outbreak.
“He had a slower reaction time,” said Warden Dwain Brewer.
But Brewer says the inmates are okay and not experiencing life-threatening injuries, describing their complaints as headaches or other minor injuries.
Officials are still trying to figure out where the gas is coming from and are calling in outside companies for additional help.
“We’re calling a boiler company out of Louisiana in the morning,” said Brewer.
Brewer reported 9 inmates in total complained about reactions from the carbon monoxide. The inmates in the affected areas in the jail are being temporarily moved to another MDOC facility.
Inmates were brought outside to the jail’s recreation yard shortly after the outbreak Saturday.