Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten Season. Observant Coast Christians do not eat meat on Fridays during the Lenten Season. Here are some easy recipes for you to try that your family may enjoy.
- 1 large can of Salmon
- 1-2 large eggs
- Small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tube of round buttered crackers, crushed (or more depending on your taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste (and any other spice you wish to add like garlic)
Mix well and shape into 4 patties; fry in butter or oil until nice and golden.
- 12 oz. pkg. of spaghetti
- 2 large jars of Spaghetti sauce
- 1 or 2 c. Grated Parmesan
- 3-4 c. Shredded cheese (a mixture of mozzarella, Colby and Monterey jack cheese)
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta until tender. Warm the spaghetti sauce in a separate pan while the pasta cooks. When the pasta is fork tender, mix with the sauce.
Fill a 2 qt. casserole dish about half way with the pasta mixture. Add a thick layer of parmesan cheese and the shredded cheese. Then put the rest of the spaghetti on top, and cover that layer with more parmesan and shredded cheese. Cover with foil and put in oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 can (14 ¾ oz.) salmon, drained
- 1-2 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Maragrine or butter
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, Colby or some combination to your liking.
In a skillet, sauté garlic in oil until tender.
Stir in salmon, basil and pepper. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
Meanwhile spread margarine or butter over one side of each tortilla. Place 4 tortillas, buttered side down on a griddle.
Take salmon mixture off heat and add cheese, stirring just to mix it together.
Place ¼ of salmon mixture on each tortilla then top with another, buttered side up.
Cook on low until lightly brown, then flip over and cook that side until lightly brown.
Cut into wedges and serve with salsa or guacamole.
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 4 (6oz.) salmon steaks
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
In a small bowl, mix honey, mustard and lemon juice. Spread the mixture over the salmon steaks. Season with pepper. Arrange in a medium baking dish.
Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish easily flakes with a fork.
For more information, contact: