Ocean Springs night parade will roll again next year - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Ocean Springs night parade will roll again next year

By Sylvia Hall - bio | email

OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX)- It's never been seen before here in Ocean Springs.  At seven o'clock Friday night, sirens howled, lights flashed, and police officers swept down Government Street, symbolizing the start of the first ever night parade in the city. 

"I never thought about it," said Ocean Springs resident Ralph Vincent.  "This was a real surprise. When I heard it on the news, I couldn't believe it."

Twenty three floats lit up downtown Ocean Springs. The street was flanked with thousands of ecstatic onlookers.  The energy of those riding and those watching showed that the Ocean Springs Carnival Association's first parade was a huge success. 

"I've been here in Ocean Springs since 1st grade through 12th grade, and this is a really exciting thing that we're having right here," said Tim Gray, who rode on the float entered by 'Les Pierrots' Mardi Gras Krewe.

This year there was no theme, no court, and no ball.  Instead, the Krewe limited itself to one big party in the streets of Ocean Springs.  The krewe planned the entire event in just a matter of weeks.  Organizers say next year, they will choose a king and queen from the current board, and hopefully have more events, because they will have more time to plan. 

The short notice didn't stop anyone from having a great time.

"Look at it, we're having fun out here!" said Vincent, just as the parade passed by.

Organizers hope the parade will become a community staple.

"We want to make it a family community effort, and make it a family fun event," said board member Bonnie Levi.

Judging by the turnout this year, they are well on their way to becoming part of the fabric of Ocean Springs Mardi Gras. 

"Maybe next year we're going to try to get us a float in," said Vincent.

"We're pumped up about it," added Clark Levi, who is also on the board.

Organizers say they expect the parade to at least double in size next year.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:08 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:08:01 GMT
    James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after the victim died from his injuries.

    More >>

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after Ronald Spencer died from his injuries.

    More >>
  • Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 9:57 AM EDT2017-07-26 13:57:52 GMT
    Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>
  • Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 8:06 AM EDT2017-07-26 12:06:14 GMT
    An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly