Couple on crusade to save teens' lives - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Couple on crusade to save teens' lives

By Trang Pham-Bui - bio | email

PASCAGOULA, MS (WLOX) - "I want you to picture me at this moment as your mom," said Yvette Pearse.

The Harrison County mom wants every student to know how a mother feels when she loses her children.

"My children call me every day between 3:30 and 4:00," said Pearse. "And when I didn't get that call, I called (Kiara's) cell phone. Her cell phone called me back. I saw Kiara, I said 'Hey, where are you?'"

"Ma'am, this is the Gulfport Police Department", the caller said.

"Do you know that my heart dropped to my feet?" Pearse said.

Her words were powerful. Her story was heart breaking.

"I get to Garden Park Hospital, and they won't let me see my children. They won't tell me anything. You know why? Because Kiara was already dead," Pearse said.

Her only two children, 17-year-old Kiara and 15-year-old Jameel, died when their car flipped on Highway 49. Both teens were ejected from the car. It happened two years ago, on November 14th.

"The fact that it's the anniversary today, it just brings up more emotions," said Brian Pearse.

Brian and Yvette Pearse want to spare other parents the same pain. So on Friday, they shared their story with students at Resurrection Catholic School in Pascagoula.

"Probably coming from us is just a stronger message. It's still the same message: 'Wear your seatbelt,'" said Brian Pearse.

The graphic images and accident statistics remind students that they are not invincible.

"It was sad, because they're our age. And it could be any of us that could have died," said sophomore Rachael Millette.

"They did a really good job explaining everything and talking about what happens if you don't wear it. How he's all affected by it," said sophomore Emma Mitchell.

The scenes also brings back memories of a former student who died in a September accident.

"Nick Woods, two months ago, he got in a car crash. He didn't have his seatbelt on, and he passed away," said junior Emmaleigh Davis. "One of the slides they had when they were all knocking together, somebody didn't have their seatbelt on, and it really reminded me of Nick. I'm wearing a seatbelt."

"I don't want your parents to ever have to face holding our hand while you die," Brian Pearse told the students. "Take the time to buckle up. It's the law, and it's your life."

"Be safe. We love you," said Yvette Pearse.

Brian and Yvette Pearse are planning to put up a sign at Harrison Central High School in memory of their children. The sign reminds students to buckle-up as they enter and leave campus.

The couple also set up the "K and J Foundation" to provide scholarships to high school seniors in Harrison County.

• NEWSMore>>

Gulfport's Matt Luke fulfills a dream to become Ole Miss Head Football Coach

Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:10 AM EDT2017-07-25 04:10:04 GMT

The Luke family has been committed to Ole Miss for years.  On Monday Matt Luke met the media in Oxford four days after taking over the head coaching reins from Hugh Freeze.

Matt Luke introduced as Ole Miss interim head coach

Monday, July 24 2017 11:58 PM EDT2017-07-25 03:58:50 GMT
    WLBTWLBT

14 years as part of the Ole Miss football program as a coach or player has prepared Matt Luke for this opportunity. Admittedly it doesn't come under the circumstances he might've envisioned. But with a Rebel bloodline that runs 3 generations deep, the position fulfills a lifelong dream. "I can truly tell y'all today that this is my dream job," Luke said Monday at his first press conference as Ole Miss interim head coach. "It's a job that I've been preparing my whole li...

More >>

Rain puts Pascagoula's new football turf on the clock

Monday, July 24 2017 11:09 PM EDT2017-07-25 03:09:56 GMT
    Rain has slowed down construction crews as they attempt to put a new field turf at War Memorial Stadium (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Rain has slowed down construction crews as they attempt to put a new field turf at War Memorial Stadium (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

The Pascagoula Panthers open the 2017 football season on the road. In fact, their first three games are road contests. That scheduling quirk may give field turf crews just enough time to get War Memorial Stadium ready for the September 8 home opener. The wet weather in South Mississippi is placing quite the burden on construction workers as they attempt to complete stadium renovations. The project was suppose to be finished before the beginning of Pascagoula's football season.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Teen livestreamed crash that killed her sister

Tuesday, July 25 2017 1:22 AM EDT2017-07-25 05:22:29 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 1:22 AM EDT2017-07-25 05:22:29 GMT

Obdulia Sanchez was under the influence and livestreaming on Instagram when she rolled her car over into a barbed-wire fence and then a field. The crash killed her 14-year-old sister, Jacqueline.

More >>

Exploding dye pack creates unforgettable image of bank robbery suspects' escape

Monday, July 24 2017 5:06 PM EDT2017-07-24 21:06:08 GMT
    A dye pack hidden inside the stolen money exploded as the suspects were leaving the scene of the crime. (Source: CPD)A dye pack hidden inside the stolen money exploded as the suspects were leaving the scene of the crime. (Source: CPD)

Columbia Police have released surveillance images of the two suspects wanted in connection with an armed bank robbery in the Five Points area.

More >>

Home where newborn remains were found treated as crime scene

Tuesday, July 25 2017 5:21 AM EDT2017-07-25 09:21:26 GMT
    Richardson at her first court appearance. (FOX19 NOW)Richardson at her first court appearance. (FOX19 NOW)

The Warren County home where a newborn's body was found buried in a shallow grave is now being treated as a crime scene, authorities announced Monday.

Powered by Frankly