Concorde Cancels Flight To Gulfport - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

09/05/02

Concorde Cancels Flight To Gulfport

A Concorde flight scheduled from Gulfport to London on October 18th won't be taking off -- at least not from Mississippi. The 93 passengers who paid about $7,000 each for a luxury travel package will be catching a ride on the supersonic jet in New York instead of Gulfport.

The departure point is the only change in the vacation plan that includes six nights in London, a return to New York on the Queen Elizabeth the second and a flight back to Gulfport.

Gulfport-Biloxi international airport assistant executive director Ken Spirito says he's disappointed to hear of the change in plans. He says airport officials lobbied a Saint Louis tour operator for three years to get the Concorde to the Coast, and have spent more than $10,000 advertising the trip since April.

Spirito says Montclair Travel told airport officials late last week that British Airways and Air France only fly the Concorde out of New York. Ticket-holders were told of the swap Wednesday. Montclair officials weren't immediately available for comment.

Powered by Frankly