Lethal injection uses a combination of a chemical sedative and lethal drugs that will be delivered intravenously until death is pronounced.
The process in Mississippi:
- Sleep-inducing sodium Pentothal will render the inmate unconscious.
- Then a saline solution flushes the intravenous line.
- Next is Pavulon, which stops breathing and collaspes the diaphragm and lungs.
- A saline solution is once again used to flush the intravenous line.
- The final injection is potassium chloride, which stops the heart, causing cardiac arrest.