93-Year-Old Woman Loses Home To Fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

93-Year-Old Woman Loses Home To Fire

"I was washing, and I had a drier and a washing machine. I took the clothes, and put them in the drier. I walked back into the living room, and heard like a bell ringing...ding, ding, ding, ding. I looked back, and I saw the smoke rising," Christine Ladner said.

Her grandson, John Ladner, was outside the mobile home when the fire broke out.

"She was there trying to put it out in the laundry room, and she was hollering at me to help her. And I said, come on, Grandma, we've got to get out of here," he said.

It was a close call for both grandmother and grandson, as he rushed to rescue his grandmother from the home.

"Just as I looked up, before I moved her, I saw the ceiling was on fire, and when I pulled her, just as I pulled her away, where she was standing, a ball of fire fell to the floor," he said.

Once John got his grandmother outside, he and a few other relatives next door grabbed a water hose to fight the fire. They saved Christine's dog, but almost everything she owned was destroyed.

Relatives have rallied around Christine, but starting over at the age of 93 will be difficult. For the time being, Christine is staying with her son and daughter-in-law who also live on the property.

If you'd like to help, you can call 228-255-9431.

By Toni Miles

Powered by Frankly