Family Homeless After Fire Guts Their Home This Holiday - - The News for South Mississippi

Family Homeless After Fire Guts Their Home This Holiday

"I'm trying to salvage, but as you can see, there's nothing to salvage. I was trying to salvage a few things," said Charles McGee.

Thomas McGee sifted through the ashes of his home on Fern Avenue, hoping to find something to take back to his wife and son. He never imagined this is how he would be spending Christmas Eve, and this isn't the first time Thomas and his family have had to build back after losing everything.

"Katrina wiped out everything we had. We stayed in a trailer park which is over there. We lost our trailer, and by the Grace of God we found this house. And it wasn't in the best of shape, but it was home," McGee said.

The family is homeless, but is staying at a hotel room provided by the American Red Cross. McGee's wife, Patricia, is sad that they lost all of their worldly possessions, but she's grateful that their nephew, Christopher, was able to save the couple's 15-year-old autistic son.

"He's afraid of fire. My nephew caught hell, trying to get him out. We had to pull him, pull him out of his clothes to get him out. He was trying to run in our bathroom and shut the door. He was trying to stay in the kitchen, but by the grace of God we got him out of there," Patricia said.

So they'll spend this Christmas in a hotel room. In two days they will have to leave, but this family has a strong faith.

"I wish that I could get a home for my son, get him stable, because right now, things are very confusing for him. But he's coming around. He knows something is wrong. If I got my wish, just get my son placed, get him somewhere, if I had my wish," Patricia said.

A fire account is being set up for the family.  For more information or if you'd like to help out, you can call (228) 324-6160.

By Toni Miles

Powered by Frankly