CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH PORT AND ORANGE
3/4 cup sugar
1lb fresh cranberries
1/3 cup port
- Finely grate the zest of the orange and squeeze the juice into a medium saucepan.
- Add the sugar, port and cranberries. Stir.
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the cranberries are soft (about 10 minutes.) Taste for sweetness. Add more sugar if necessary.
- Serve warm or cold with turkey, pork or game.
RUSTIC CRANBERRY TART
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole almonds
1 stick butter
3 tablespoons half and half
1 egg, beaten, for glazing
1 1/2 cups home-made cranberry sauce
8 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Grind the almonds until fine in a food processor.
- Add the flour, salt and butter cut into small pieces to the almonds in the processing bowl.
- Blend briefly, and then add the half and half. Blend until the mixture starts to come together. Add a little more half and half if necessary.
- Turn the pastry onto a floured board and roll out into a 10" circle. Make sure there are no holes in the pastry. Place the pastry circle onto a greased sheet pan.
- Slice the goat cheese into rounds.
- Spread the cranberry sauce over the pastry circle, leaving about a 2" margin all the way around. Lay the slices of goat cheese onto the cranberry sauce, then sprinkle with the sugar. Scatter the almonds on top.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over the filling, leaving the center uncovered.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake at 375 F for about 35 mins, or until the pastry is nicely browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a little cream.
CRANBERRY TEA BREAD
4 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup candied peel
1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
Grease and flour one large loaf pan or two small loaf pans