Moss Point Family Loses Everything In House Fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Moss Point Family Loses Everything In House Fire

A South Mississippi couple is homeless after their house burned to the ground. It happened Sunday night, just outside of Moss Point. Now the family is trying to figure out how to rebuild a lifetime of memories.  

Charred pieces of furniture and clothing is all that is left of the Ryan home after not one, but two fires.

"The fire department said that there were no hotspots or anything and we stayed and checked it," says Tojuana Daniel.

Daniel is the oldest of the couple's three daughters. She says the first fire destroyed the kitchen and living area. Upset and confused, the Ryan family went to a local restaurant to figure out how they were going to repair the damage. But later that night, the unthinkable happened. 

"About 2:30 in the morning my mom called and she was pretty distraught," Daniel said.

The couple's home was on fire again and this time everything was destroyed.

The family says fire officials told them an electrical problem may have started the first blaze, but what sparked the second fire remains a mystery.

"When I got here there was nothing left. I could see why my mom was so torn up about it," says Brenda Sherman, the couple's middle daughter.

She says it will be hard to rebuild two decades of memories. That's why this family is asking for support from the community.

"There is no way that they will ever be able to financially replace everything. When you start adding up food and medicine and things like that, it's just not financially possible for them to do it alone and every little bit helps," Sherman said.

Her sister Tojuana agrees.

"If it's nothing but prayers and just coming and hugging them and letting them know that they are still loved, especially for my dad because he's worked so hard to get what he's got," says Daniel.

The family plans to further investigate what happened Sunday night. They say their power wasn't disconnected until Wednesday and that may have helped start the second fire.

If you want to help the Ryan family, there is a benefit account set up at Hancock Bank or you can help by giving food or clothing and dropping them off at the Canaan Assembly of God in Moss Point.

by Elise Roberts

Powered by Frankly