Corps to Pay for Flooding Study - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Corps to Pay for Flooding Study

During heavy rains or tropical storms, some homes in the Long Beach Green Acres subdivision flood. The city engineer says one reason is the canal that runs behind the houses on Marjorie Street. Another reason is Turkey Creek in North Gulfport that runs to Long Beach. The Corps of Engineers acknowledges there is widespread flooding that needs to be plugged, and the Corps will pay to study the best way to do that. Corps Representative Johnny Grandison says, "Once we develop that plan and decide how we're going to look at the project or the problem we'll look at ways to attack it and develop some alternatives to doing that."

 Once the Corps decides what to do, the government will pay 65% of the cost and the county will pay the other 35%. "We don't want you to feel like we're running out doing something that you're not on top of and aware of and know what your financial commitment would be." Grandison says. Grandison assured the board the corps will find a solution. The supervisors say that's the kind of commitment they were hoping to hear, since the flooding covers so many areas. Supervisors' President William Martin says, "All of the areas there involving Canal Road and all of that area and there's some development issues and a lot of things have to be considered so we're glad that the Corps is agreeing to take the lead on this."  District 3 Supervisor Marlin Ladner says, "It's obvious that there's got to be some relief for those folks where flooding occurs."

The corps says it can't give a time frame on when the study will be complete. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Flash flood threat through Tuesday

    Flash flood threat through Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 12:19 PM EDT2017-07-24 16:19:18 GMT
    Street flooding occurred on Monday morning for parts of Hwy 90 in Biloxi.Street flooding occurred on Monday morning for parts of Hwy 90 in Biloxi.

    Heavy rain across South Mississippi has kicked off the new week, leading to a significant flooding threat. A Flash Flood Watch is in effect for South Mississippi until Tuesday evening.

    More >>

    Heavy rain across South Mississippi has kicked off the new week, leading to a significant flooding threat. A Flash Flood Watch is in effect for South Mississippi until Tuesday evening.

    More >>
  • Stone County soaked, but flood waters recede quickly

    Stone County soaked, but flood waters recede quickly

    Monday, July 24 2017 12:00 PM EDT2017-07-24 16:00:10 GMT
    Rains have made roads across South Mississippi very slick (Photo Source: MDOT)Rains have made roads across South Mississippi very slick (Photo Source: MDOT)

    Stone County Emergency Management Director Raven James says he hasn’t seen this much rain a long time, but as quickly as the rain fell, it’s receding. Reports indicate as much as seven inches of rain fell on Wiggins and its surrounding communities. James said throughout the morning downpour, ditches filled up, spilling water on to several roads.

    More >>

    Stone County Emergency Management Director Raven James says he hasn’t seen this much rain a long time, but as quickly as the rain fell, it’s receding. Reports indicate as much as seven inches of rain fell on Wiggins and its surrounding communities. James said throughout the morning downpour, ditches filled up, spilling water on to several roads.

    More >>
  • Educators learn life-saving techniques to protect your children

    Educators learn life-saving techniques to protect your children

    Monday, July 24 2017 11:28 AM EDT2017-07-24 15:28:00 GMT
    Harrison County school administrators go to class today to learn life-saving techniques that can protect their students (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Harrison County school administrators go to class today to learn life-saving techniques that can protect their students (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

    Harrison County school administrators, principals, and assistant principals are spending the day learning about potentially life-saving safety techniques that can be used in schools. The training is being offered by the Mississippi Department of Homeland Security and the Mississippi Law Enforcement Training Academy.

    More >>

    Harrison County school administrators, principals, and assistant principals are spending the day learning about potentially life-saving safety techniques that can be used in schools. The training is being offered by the Mississippi Department of Homeland Security and the Mississippi Law Enforcement Training Academy.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly