Two Men Accused Of Killing Teen Will Face Grand Jury

The two men charged with killing 18-year-old Josh Missiledine in November will go before a Harrison County Grand Jury.

During a preliminary hearing Wednesday afternoon, a judge ruled that there is enough evidence against 30-year-old Christopher Shields and 30-year-old Germaine Strickland for the grand jury to decide if they should be indicted for capital murder.

A Harrison County Sheriff's investigator testified that Christopher Shields and Germaine Strickland met up with Josh Missiledine to get drugs from him and to steal his car radio to sell for crack cocaine.

Investigators say Germaine Strickland and Christopher Shields met Josh Missiledine at an abandoned trailer off Highway 53 on Nove. 30th. Their statements conflict as to what happened there, but both men accuse the other of killing the teen.

Missiledine died of head injuries caused by some kind of unknown wooden object. Investigators concede they have no physical evidence at this time that links either man to the murder. But county prosecutor Bobby Payne argued the physical evidence is "a dead boy that was beaten to death."

The judge ordered Strickland and Shield bound over to the next county grand jury.

"I think certainly the evidence that was presented certainly in my opinion was insufficient, but certainly it was a probable cause call upon the judge, and I certainly accept his position," District Attorney Melvin Cooper said.

Both defendants will stay in jail. The judge refused to lower their $5 million bond, but Cooper isn't giving up for his client.

"My client no longer comes under the jurisdiction of this court," Cooper said. "My client at this point in time even though he hasn't been indicted comes under the jurisdiction of the circuit court so I can file a motion for a bond reduction there."

Josh Missiledine's car was found the night before his body was discovered in the trailer. The car stereo was missing, but again, the two defendants tell different stories as to what happened to it. Investigators haven't found the stereo yet. Neither the victim's family, nor Strickland's family would comment after the hearing. Christopher Shields' attorney also had no comment.