A fire broke out at the Palm Isle Apartments in Biloxi Saturday night, damaging two apartment homes there. Fortunately, no one was injured.
"My neighbor from upstairs had come down and banged on the door and said there were flames coming out of the window. I was like Oh my gosh. He said call 911, and I did, and I saw the flames, and I was waiting on the police," said apartment resident Sidney Lacy.
Lacy and his wife were spending a quiet night at home when their neighbor's home upstairs caught on fire.
"It would flame up for a minute, then it would go down. One minute, I thought I was going to have to kick the door in," Lacy said.
Firefighters were on the scene within minute's of Lacy's 911 call. Before long, dozens of residents gathered in the parking lot, watching as firefighters put out the blaze and carried burned up mattresses out of the apartment. Fortunately, no one was injured.
"It looks like it started in the unoccupied apartment. The resident wasn't home at the time. It started on the back side of his bed in the bedroom section. It spread through the mattress. The main thing burned is going to be some wall damage and mattress to the bed. Everything else was contained to that area," Battalion Chief Kerry Borden of the Biloxi Fire Department.
The apartment below received some water damage, but residents say the damage could have been much more extensive if the fire department hadn't responded as quickly as they did.