An investigation is underway into a FEMA trailer fire in Hancock county that burned a family of three, including a young child.
The fire happened around eight o'clock Thursday night at the Oakwell trailer park just west of Waveland.
Here are the names:
- 21-year-old, Dana William is being treated at the Baton Rouge General Medical Center and is in fair condition.
- 26 year old, Beau Rayburn is at LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport and is in good condition.
- 13 month old, Landon Rayburn was airlifted to a Baton Rouge General Medical Center and is in fair condition.
All three are being treated for burns. We do not know their conditions right now. Still no word yet how last night's fire started.
Local authorities and the state fire marshal are investigating.
The cold weather is associated with house fire season. From turning on heaters to lighting fires in a fireplace, house fires increase from November to February. Just in the last week... 13 families in Harrison, Hancock, and Pearl River counties have lost their homes to fires.
And according to the Red Cross' Gulf Coast chapter, the problem of house and trailer fires is getting worse. From July to December 2005, the Red Cross provided 11 thousand dollars in emergency assistance. Over those same months in 2006, officials say the amount is up to nearly 46 thousand dollars, which is more than four times as much money.
The American Red Cross says it has already spent 46 thousand of the 66 thousand it budgeted for fire assistance, and the fire season doesn't end until February.