For a few minutes on Tuesdsay, Biloxi's mayor got to be one of Santa's elves. A.J. Holloway's sleigh was a small girl's bike. The North Pole was the Biloxi Wal Mart. Mayor Holloway had a big smile on his face as he rang a bell, and helped the store and K99.1 radio kick off the tenth annual bikes or bust campaign.
From December 4-10, the two groups will collect bikes. And the Salvation Army will distribute them to area children.
In the past, a radio station personality lived in a camper suspended over the Coliseum's grounds. And he wasn't allowed to come down until the "Bikes or Bust" campaign reached its goal.
Hurricane Katrina changed the mission just a bit. Now, the camper is gone, and so are the goals. K99.1 and Wal Mart are simply trying to collect as many bikes as possible. "We want to keep it going and keep it local," siad K99.1 General Manager Reggie Bates.
Each day next week, the radio station will set up drop off sites at differert Wal Marts. Here's a list of where you can bring your bike.
- December 4, 2-8 pm - Wiggins and Picayune Wal Marts
- December 5, 2-8 pm - Ocean Springs Wal Mart
- December 6, 2-8 pm - Waveland Wal Mart
- December 7, 2-8 pm - Lucedale and Picayune Wal Marts
- December 8, 2-8 pm - Biloxi and Pascagoula Wal Marts
- December 9, 10-2 pm - Gulfport Wal Mart
- December 10, 12-6 pm - D'Iberville Wal Mart