Deadly Fire In Orange Grove Ruled Accidental

An autopsy performed Sunday showed a disabled Gulfport man died from smoke inhalation in a house fire Saturday evening.

The fire broke out around 6:30 p.m. at a home on Lavelle Drive. Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove says the death of Gary Robinson, 53, has been ruled an accident. Robinson was at home alone when the fire broke out.

Gulfport Fire Chief Pat Sullivan says the fire started in the bedroom and that a cigarette could be to blame. The fire has been ruled accidental. Sullivan says the home sustained major fire and smoke damage and is likely a complete loss.

Gulfport Police Officer Tim Bankston was taken to the hospital after receiving smoke inhalation. He was driving by and noticed the house on fire. Police say he tried to get into the home and look for the victim, but the fire was too hot.