- 3 T. margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½ c. uncooked rice
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 c. tomato juice
- ½ c. tomato sauce
- 1 ½ c. water
- 1 ½ t. salt
- Melt margarine in heavy 3-qt. saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in all other ingredients. Stir once, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Tips: Recipe can be halved. For a heartier dish, stir 1 cup cooked ham cut into cubes or cooked ground beef into the cooked rice. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- 4 chicken breasts halves, skinned and boned
- ½ stick margarine
- 1 t. salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ t. paprika
- ¼ c. water
- 2 T. all purpose flour
- 3 T. Dry sherry or water
- 1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
- Cut chicken breast crosswise into 10 or 12 strips. Melt margarine in heavy 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat. Add the chicken strips and sprinkle with the salt. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onion, mushrooms and paprika. Cook 2 minutes longer, continuing to stir. Add the water. Reduce the heat to moderate, cover and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Combine the flour and sherry (or water) in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring rapidly, until the mixture thickens- about 1 minute.
- Add the sour cream and stir until heated through. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Serve over rice.
Tip: This recipe may be halved or doubled.
Ham with Mushrooms and Cream Sauce
- 2 T. margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ t. cornstarch
- 1 c. half-and-half
- 2 t. sherry (optional)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 c. cubed cooked ham (about ½ lb.)
- Melt margarine in a 12-inch skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- In a bowl, blend cornstarch with 1 T. half-and-half until smooth. Add the remaining half-and-half and sherry if used. Set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add the ham and the half-and-half mixture to the skillet. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, over moderately high heat for 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Serve over noodles or rice.
Tips: This recipe can be halved. Cooked chicken or turkey can be substituted for the ham.