Air leakage can be a major problem in both new and existing homes. Eliminating air leakage can save you money and make your home more comfortable and easier to heat and cool.
- Infiltration of humid outside air is your heating and cooling system’s worst enemy – it could account for 15% to 30% of air conditioning energy requirements.
- Find the places where air can sneak into your home and plug them up.
Air leakage (not only in structure of the home but air leakage in duct work) can:
- Contribute significantly to higher heating and cooling cost.
- Create comfort and moisture problems.
- Promote a path of pollutants such as radon and mold into homes. Exposure to radon gas from the ground (crawl space) is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer (after smoking).
- Serve as a prime entry for insects and rodents.
- Cause drafts cause window fogging or frosting..
- Agitate allergy problems increase dust and dirt inside the home.
Note: Recommended measures to address air leakage problems in the home air seal attic area (by-passes and tops of walls)