Pass Mayor To Keep His Salary - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

12/14/05

Pass Mayor To Keep His Salary

Mayor Billy McDonald will not get a pay cut after all. Tuesday night, Pass Christian's Board of Alderman voted to take "no action" against the Mayor, for what they call "poor leadership" after the storm.

The Board of Alderman said they had to go behind closed doors to discuss the Mayor's pay cut because of a possible lawsuit. Earlier this week, the board unanimously voted to cut the Mayor's yearly salary of $48,000 dollars by 10% for his alleged absence after Katrina. But the Mayor vetoed that vote saying he only left because his wife needed medical care in Baton Rouge.

One resident, who asked to remain anonymous, doesn't believe it.

"Baton Rouge is two and a half hours away. That's where I was and I was able to drive here on a daily basis to check on my house any my status. I don't understand why he couldn't make that two and a half hour drive unless his wife was, you know, about to die."

The board came out of executive session and took a vote whether to override the Mayor's veto. Alderman Pienas and McDermott voted not to cut the Mayor's salary. The three to two vote was not enough to override Mayor McDonald's veto.

The anonymous woman we spoke to said, "I feel like if he would say, 'I can't do this' and step down, then someone with the skills and the energy to fight for us... because we need every dime we can get."

byRebecca Powers

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children. 

    More >>
  • GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    Thursday, April 27 2017 5:18 AM EDT2017-04-27 09:18:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 27 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-04-27 23:27:02 GMT
    Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly