Jackson County Fire Officials Concerned About FEMA Trailers - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

11/21/05

Jackson County Fire Officials Concerned About FEMA Trailers

It's taken some time for Angela Givens to get used to her temporary home mostly because it's so small.

"Not enough of it," Givens says. "Usually my husband would get out in the middle of the floor in the living room and wrestle with the kids. He can't do that here."

What most people like Givens haven't thought about though is that the size isn't just uncomfortable. It can also be deadly.

"In these trailers what you have is everything is shrunk down. Now if you have a fire in the kitchen, it's almost upon you before you have time to react," Gautier Fire Marshall Ray Frair.

Frair says this means there's a greater possibility of someone not making it out alive. So it's important, he says, to prevent fires from ever beginning.

"You shouldn't smoke at all in these trailers,"Frair says. "Any time you're smoking, there's the possibility of a fire occurring from a dropped cigarette or just a dropped ash. When you are cooking, never leave the stove unattended. Especially in the holidays, you've got so many things going on at once."

But if a fire does start, Frair says it's just as important to have a plan including escape routes.

"You want to make sure that you fully understand how to open that window under emergency conditions to get out." 

Frair says each FEMA trailers comes with a smoke detector.

"Each one of these trailers also has a carbon monoxide detector in them and they come with a fire extinguisher to help you."

But because of the size, Frair says, if a fire starts don't bother fighting it. The best thing you can do for your family is just get out.

By Jaimee Goad

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Charges upgraded to murder in Gulfport attack

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:08 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:08:01 GMT
    James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)James Christopher Woodard (Photo source: Gulfport Police Department)

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after the victim died from his injuries.

    More >>

    A homeless man is now facing a charge of second degree murder for an attack that happened earlier this month in Gulfport. The upgraded charge against 31-year-old James Christopher Woodard comes after Ronald Spencer died from his injuries.

    More >>
  • Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Catching shrimp, crabs and other fish became easy today

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 9:57 AM EDT2017-07-26 13:57:52 GMT
    Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Fishermen have a ball as fish wash up on the Gulfport shoreline (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>

    Is it a jubilee? Shrimp, crabs, and other fish started washing ashore Tuesday between Moses Pier and Urie Pier in Gulfport. A bait shop operator said the birds and pelicans in that area had quite a feast. On Wednesday morning, people had their coolers and their nets along the shoreline. They reeled in fish that appeared to be oxygen deprived.

    More >>
  • Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Two people escape from burning Saucier home

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 8:06 AM EDT2017-07-26 12:06:14 GMT
    An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)An overnight fire burns down a home in Saucier. Two people escaped but need to be taken to the hospital (Photo Source: Pat Sullivan)

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>

    Two people ran from the burning home in the Saucier community overnight. First responders say the duo was inside the burning building long enough to breathe in too much smoke. AMR rushed both people to the hospital so they could be treated for smoke inhalation. By the time fire trucks arrived, flames and smoke could be seen pouring out of the entire home. The trailer was a total loss. Sullivan says the home did not have working smoke alarms.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly