SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - June 1-7 is National CPR and AED Awareness Week. In an effort to train Gulf Coast residents, the American Heart Association and its partners are hosting CPR Week training sessions in Jackson, Harrison, and Hancock Counties this week.
Several medical agencies across the nation are using this week to stress the importance of being able to perform these life-saving routines.
The American Red Cross says:
The following training sessions have been scheduled this week:
Jackson County, MS
- Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm, Walmart Ocean Springs, 3911 Bienville Blvd.
- Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm, Walmart Pascagoula, 4253 Denny Ave.
Harrison County, MS
- Friday, June 1, 9 am - 12 pm, Neighborhood Market - Gulfport, 11333 US 49
- Friday, June 1, 11 am - 2 pm, Walmart D'Iberville, 3615 Sangani Blvd.
- Monday, June 4, 4 pm to 8 pm, Planet Fitness Biloxi, 2390 Pass Road
- Monday, June 4, 4 pm - 8 pm, Planet Fitness Gulfport, 12273 US 49
Hancock County, MS
- Friday, June 1, 2 pm - 4 pm, Walmart Pass Christian, 1617 East Beach Blvd
According to the American Heart Association, nationally, 90% of people who suffer out-of-hospital cardiac arrests don't survive. CPR, especially if performed immediately, can double or triple a cardiac arrest victim's chance of survival. Therefore, citizens should learn Hands-Only CPR in order to respond to cardiac events immediately and increase survival chances for those undergoing cardiac events.
CPR is short for cardiopulmonary resuscitation. For more information about Hands-Only CPR, please visit here.