Disaster Declaration Confusing To Some Mississippi Flood Victims

LaQuania Floyd got two feet of water in her apartment when the remnants of Allison swept through the coast.

"It is horrible," Floyd said. "I have two children and me and my fiance and my two children are all staying in a one-bedroom apartment with my step mom."

Most of her furniture was destroyed and she doesn't have insurance, so when she heard that FEMA was going to help Mississippians, she was ecstatic.

"I was over excited, but it wasn't for us, it was for public assistance," she said.

LaQuania is right. The federal declaration in Mississippi provides money to help cities repair roads and bridges, but it does not extend to individuals.

"People can be hit hard by a disaster, but collectively, the damage and what not does not meet the final qualifications for federal funds," explained Lynne Keating, a FEMA spokesperson.

Instead, Mississippi flood victims need to call MEMA, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. People who don't have insurance can apply for rental assistance.

LaQuania applied by phone and a MEMA representative told her someone would be out to her apartment this week.

"They're coming out Thursday, June 28, and I guess they're coming to inspect, to see how high the water was, whatever, see what all was damaged and they should be able to help," she said.

MEMA representatives will work out of these trailers at FEMA's disaster field office. Working together, the two agencies will try to put south Mississippi cities and people back on their feet.

If you received damage from Allison and want to apply for assistance, you can call MEMA at 1-800-434-4243. The amount you are eligible for depends on how much insurance you have and how many people live in your home.