Family grieves after Gulfport woman killed in kitchen fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Family grieves after Gulfport woman killed in kitchen fire

Gulfport Fire Chief Beyerstedt said kitchen and cooking fires are the most common kind of fire in Gulfport. (Photo source: WLOX) Gulfport Fire Chief Beyerstedt said kitchen and cooking fires are the most common kind of fire in Gulfport. (Photo source: WLOX)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

A Gulfport family is grieving after a fire swept through a home on 42nd Ave. and claimed the life of Sandra Beverly.

First responders were unable to revive her after smoke from a kitchen fire engulfed the home overnight.

The family returned to the scene of the fire this afternoon. "Smoke got her and she didn't make it. She didn't make it,"said Archester Beverly, Sandra's husband

Beverly got his first look around his house on Monday afternoon. 

Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt told WLOX News Now it appears the woman left something cooking and fell asleep. Firefighters were called to the home on 42nd Avenue just after 1:30 a.m. Monday morning. When they arrived flames were visible through a large window in the front of the house. 

"This fire began in the kitchen, on the stove. We traced it right down to the pot that was on the stove and is melted down and caught fire. I was just explaining to the family, to the husband and son. It's a sad day and our hearts go out to the Beverly family. Our prayers are with them," according to Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt.

The family is in shock, praying their loved one didn't suffer too much. 

"A lot of things are going through my mind that I can gather. I'm trying to keep my composure with good thoughts, like maybe she just went out without waking up and suffering," said Sandra Beverly's son, Phillip Moore.

Kitchen fires like this are far too common. Simply cooking and not paying attention can turn deadly. 

"Here in Gulfport and across the country cooking fires are the number one cause of fires and that's exactly what happened here last night,"  Chief Beyerstadt said.

Sandra Beverly died of smoke inhalation. Fire and smoke damage is evident throughout the house

Archester Beverly was in the hospital at the time of the fire and was supposed to be released the day before. He wishes he would have been there when fire swept through the home. 

"Lord if I would have been released yesterday this wouldn't have happened. I would have known what to do. She didn't know what to do," said Beverly, choking back tears.

Paramedics performed CPR on Sandra Beverly. She was pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital.

Copyright 2018 WLOX. All rights reserved. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • St. Martin million-dollar scholar puts emphasis on community outreach

    St. Martin million-dollar scholar puts emphasis on community outreach

    Saturday, April 21 2018 10:00 PM EDT2018-04-22 02:00:34 GMT
    She has a long list of organizations to her credit, and she’s earned 1,500 hours in community service with projects of her own creation. (Photo: WLOX)She has a long list of organizations to her credit, and she’s earned 1,500 hours in community service with projects of her own creation. (Photo: WLOX)

    As a student at the Mississippi School for Math and Science, Brianna Ladnier of St. Martin can now call herself a million-dollar scholar.

    More >>

    As a student at the Mississippi School for Math and Science, Brianna Ladnier of St. Martin can now call herself a million-dollar scholar.

    More >>
  • Rain returns Sunday

    Rain returns Sunday

    Saturday, April 21 2018 9:32 PM EDT2018-04-22 01:32:53 GMT

    The WLOX First Alert Weather team is tracking another storm system that will bring the chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms Sunday.

    More >>

    The WLOX First Alert Weather team is tracking another storm system that will bring the chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms Sunday.

    More >>
  • Mississippi Supreme Court rejects zoning for Costco store

    Mississippi Supreme Court rejects zoning for Costco store

    Saturday, April 21 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-04-22 00:43:02 GMT
    A unanimous Mississippi Supreme Court says a suburb acted improperly in rezoning property for what would be Mississippi's first Costco store. (Photo source: WLOX)A unanimous Mississippi Supreme Court says a suburb acted improperly in rezoning property for what would be Mississippi's first Costco store. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A unanimous Mississippi Supreme Court says a suburb acted improperly in rezoning property for what would be Mississippi's first Costco store.

    More >>

    A unanimous Mississippi Supreme Court says a suburb acted improperly in rezoning property for what would be Mississippi's first Costco store.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly