Beverly Martin fights back after sexual comments by lobbyist - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Beverly Martin fights back after sexual comments by lobbyist

Harrison County Supervisor Beverly Martin says she is still shocked over sexually charged comments from a lobbyist. Harrison County Supervisor Beverly Martin says she is still shocked over sexually charged comments from a lobbyist.
BILOXI, MS (WLOX) -

Allegations of sexual misconduct, an admission of guilt, and a promise to make bring the good ole boy culture to an end.

Harrison County Supervisor Beverly Martin opened up to WLOX News Now about an incident that has angered her, but also has given her a new mission.

“I’m just still stunned by the entire thing,” she said.

She took to social media this weekend accusing a lobbyist of making what she called “shocking” and “stunning” sexually charged comments to her last week during a reception at the Mississippi Association of Supervisors Conference.

That lobbyist, Scott Levanway, has come forward and taken responsibility for the exchange.

In a statement sent to WLOX News Now, Levanway apologized for his behavior, saying the comments were out of character.

He wrote, “While I cannot erase the offense, I am taking full responsibility. And while I cannot make it right, and will not attempt to justify it, I will learn from it. And I will redouble my life-long commitment to respecting women and behaving in a way that reflects my true values.”

Martin also added,  “I just find the whole thing coincidental that we have a majority female board and then in 2018, we go to functions like this and this is the way people speak to us. I can’t see people talking to a male supervisor this way. I mean, I can’t see a woman lobbyist walking up to a man elected official and asking him to do things to her.”

Martin said her ultimate goal is not to hurt anyone, but to bring awareness to an ongoing problem.

“I hope that this will be the last time this ever happens, and I hope that people check themselves,” Martin said. “This is not OK to talk to people in this manner.”

Read Levanway's full statement below.

Beverly Martin recently released a statement to the media regarding comments I made to her last week in Jackson. Beverly and I are old friends and we had not seen each other in some time. I made an ill-advised and totally unacceptable comment that was intended as a joke. My judgement was poor and I sincerely apologize for my offensive behavior. I take total responsibility for the distress I caused to Beverly by my words. This was totally out of character for me, it does not reflect my respect for Beverly nor my appreciation for our long friendship. I hope that she can forgive me. My parents taught me that a good man takes responsibility for his mistakes and then makes them right. While I cannot erase the offense, I am taking full responsibility. And while I cannot make it right, and will not attempt to justify it, I will learn from it. And I will redouble my life-long commitment to respecting women and behaving in a way that reflects my true values.

Copyright 2018 WLOX. All rights reserved.

• NEWSMore>>

It'll be a soggy Sunday across the coast

Sunday, April 22 2018 8:29 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:29:55 GMT

The WLOX First Alert Weather team is tracking another storm system that will bring the chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms Sunday.

Kids race across the finish line in annual Soap Box Derby

Sunday, April 22 2018 7:52 AM EDT2018-04-22 11:52:55 GMT
    More than 40 kids participated in this year's Deborah Washington Memorial Soap Box Derby in Moss Point Saturday. (Source: WLOX)More than 40 kids participated in this year's Deborah Washington Memorial Soap Box Derby in Moss Point Saturday. (Source: WLOX)

Clear skies greeted families Saturday in Moss Point at the 26th annual Deborah Washington Soap Box Derby after the event had to be postponed due to torrential storms last week.

Coast cities host Earth Day cleanups

Sunday, April 22 2018 7:41 AM EDT2018-04-22 11:41:15 GMT
    (Source: File)(Source: File)

Earth Day is April 22 and community events are happening across the Gulf Coast this weekend to help clean up communities and be more environmentally-friendly.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Woman loses home at auction to former attorney

Saturday, April 21 2018 11:11 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:11:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 5:23 AM EDT2018-04-22 09:23:15 GMT
    Sawyers watched her Florissant, MO, home go to auction Thursday. The highest bidder was her former attorney. (Source: KPLR/CNN)Sawyers watched her Florissant, MO, home go to auction Thursday. The highest bidder was her former attorney. (Source: KPLR/CNN)

Delta passenger fined $500 for apple

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:01 PM EDT2018-04-21 17:01:03 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:45 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:45:42 GMT
    adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

4 dead, 4 injured in Waffle House shooting

Sunday, April 22 2018 5:55 AM EDT2018-04-22 09:55:32 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:49 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:49:28 GMT
    Person of Interest Identified as Travis Reinking of Morton, ILPerson of Interest Identified as Travis Reinking of Morton, IL

Four people were killed, and 4 others were injured in a shooting inside a Waffle House at 3571 Murfreesboro Pike. The shooting took place at approximately 3:30 a.m. Sunday. According to police at the scene, a white man who was naked except for a green jacket went into the restaurant and started firing. They described the gun he used as an AR-15. Police are still searching for him at this time.

Powered by Frankly