Wood stove blamed for death in Louisiana house fire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Wood stove blamed for death in Louisiana house fire

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) - Investigators say combustible items placed too close to a wood stove ignited, causing a fire that resulted in the death of a Lake Charles woman and injuries to her daughter and grandson.

The State Fire Marshal's Office says investigators responded shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters found the body of 63-year-old Barbara Thomson in a bedroom. Thomson was visiting her daughter, Jennifer Melancon, who was transported to an area hospital for treatment of moderate-to-severe burns suffered while removing her 6- and 4-year-old sons from the home.

The older child was treated for minor burns.

Investigators say Melancon had filled the stove with wood before retiring Friday night. It is believed that extra wood pieces were placed too close to the stove and ignited.

The home had no working smoke alarms.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly