Electrical issue sparks Christmas Eve fire at Gulfport apartment

Electrical issue sparks Christmas Eve fire at Gulfport apartment

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Gulfport fire investigators say an electrical issue inside a first floor apartment sparked a fire on Switzer Road. The fire damaged that unit, making it uninhabitable. The fire chief says other units at the Plantations apartments sustained smoke damage.

Several Gulfport fire trucks rushed to the Plantation apartments on Switzer Road late on Christmas Eve. The firemen dispatched to the scene saw smoke blanket much of the complex.

Those firemen used flashlights to search the grounds. They went up and down staircases to find the source of the smoke.

Someone called 911 after 10:30 p.m. Gulfport sent at least a dozen rescue personnel to the fire. The Plantation apartments are across the street from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College's Jeff Davis campus.

Copyright 2017 WLOX. All rights reserved.