Fire Has Mother Wondering How Kids Will Get School Clothes

With her children set to go back to school in just a few days, a mother-of-three is wondering where she'll get clothes for them to wear.

Shameka Bryant says her family lost everything when their Lyman apartment caught fire earlier this week.

On Saturday, she went back inside her former home for the first time.

No matter which way you turned, it was impossible to find anywhere in the apartment left untouched by fire.

Bryant recalled how on Wednesday morning she came home after working the night shift and was trying to rest.

"I couldn't sleep," she said. "I tossed and turned. Something said 'Go check on the kids'. I went to check on my kids and my bathroom was at a blaze, a non stop blaze."

Moments after she ran to her children, Bryant watched horrified as her apartment succumb to the flames.

"The fire happened so fast. It was like me telling them to come out and them making it to the living room and it was gone. Everything was gone," she said.

Even in her despair, Bryant says here among the ashes is a thankfulness that her most precious treasures were spared.

"When I got up and I actually thought about I could have lost my kids. So I'm thankful for them. I'm thankful for my kids," Bryant said.

Bryant says whenever she turned on the news and saw families devastated by fire, her heart went out to them but never realizing that one day their story would be hers.

"I felt for them but I didn't understand. Now it's me going through this," she said. "If it's happens to you, you'll know how I feel. Until it happens, you'll never know. You'll never know the feeling."

Fire investigators ruled that the blaze was started by an electrical problem. Shameka Bryant says she has managed to find housing but still needs clothes for two teenaged girls and a 12-year-old boy.

If you would like to help please call 863-3830.