HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - A family of three is safe after escaping an early morning fire. Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan said flames ignited inside a home on County Farm Road Tuesday morning while the family was asleep.
"Thank goodness they had a smoke detector," said Sullivan. "The smoke detector had gone off, woke them up and they were able to escape the fire. We believe that if they didn't have the smoke detector, these folks may not have survived this fire."
Sullivan said it took crews about 45 minutes to get the fire under control. The house was destroyed.
Investigators now say the fire appears to be accidental. They believe someone may have knocked over a candle, which sparked the blaze.