WOOLMARKET, MS (WLOX) - Many people say you just can't have a Fourth of July celebration without fireworks. But, the beautiful exploding displays can be very dangerous, especially if not handled correctly.
There are several important steps to take:
- Before you get started, you'll want to light a punk to extend your reach when lighting the fuse.
- Then make sure the firework is on a level surface in an open, outdoor space with no overhead obstructions.
- Next, make sure the fuse is extended.
- Then while making sure your face isn't over the firework, light it and get away quickly.
Mark Wood runs a firework stand in Woolmarket and says one of the most dangerous fireworks is one we've probably all used before: Sparklers. They can burn at about 1500 or 1600 degrees. If a child grabs the burning end, it will hurt them quickly.
No matter what, make sure an adult is supervising any use of fireworks, and have a safe and happy Independence Day.