Sandoval's family upset hospital won't admit him; Judge refuses - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Sandoval's family upset hospital won't admit him; Judge refuses request for mistrial

Sandoval’s attorney said he suffered a stress related episode. (Photo source: WLOX) Sandoval’s attorney said he suffered a stress related episode. (Photo source: WLOX)
JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) -

A former school bus driver on trial this week in a child sex abuse case is back in the hospital, and refusing to return to court. 

Trial begins for former bus driver accused of child sex abuse

Sergio Sandoval's trial was scheduled to resume Wednesday morning. But before that could happen, Sandoval passed out in a stairwell at the courthouse. An ambulance took him to Singing River Hospital, and he was released around 10:20 a.m.  He returned to the courtroom in a wheelchair shortly after.

Sandoval’s attorney said his client appeared to be incompetent to stand trial, and asked for a mistrial. That request was denied by the judge. 

The district attorney suggested that Sandoval be given a short break, and the court recessed until 1 p.m. During that time, Sandoval returned to the hospital and reportedly refused to leave. His family is upset because they say the hospital refuses to admit him. 

Sandoval is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation Wednesday evening.

Prosecutors argued earlier in the day that medical record show Sandoval does not have any medical problems, so Wednesday morning’s episode was stress related. They also said Sandoval started crying when asked why he was in court, so he understands the nature of the trial. 

Sandoval is accused of inappropriately touching an 8-year-old student who rode the bus he drove for the Ocean Springs School District. The trial will resume Thursday at 7:45 a.m.

Copyright 2017 WLOX. All rights reserved. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:00 PM EST2018-02-22 18:00:32 GMT
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>
  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly