SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality issued three new water contact advisories Tuesday for areas in Jackson County.
- Station 14 - Front Beach near Martin Ave. in Ocean Springs. The extent is from the Yacht Club east to Jackson Ave.
- Station 19 - Pascagoula Beach West from Oliver St. east to Westwood St.
- Station 20 - Pascagoula Beach East from Westwood St. east to Grand Oaks Dr.
Two other advisories remain in effect for:
- Station 10 - Gulfport Central Beach from Alfonso Dr. east to Arkansas Ave.
- Station 11 - Gulfport East Beach from Tegarden Rd. east to Anniston Ave.
These segments of beach are not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in these areas. When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisories will be lifted. The Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation against swimming during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.
More information about the Mississippi Beach Monitoring Program and the status of beach advisories is available at: http://opcgis.deq.state.ms.us/beaches