Fire burns Moss Point couple's home of 50 years - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Fire burns Moss Point couple's home of 50 years

Video from an eye-witness shows firefighters pouring water on the roof as smoke billows out of the structure. (Photo source: Pamela Riley Eaves) Video from an eye-witness shows firefighters pouring water on the roof as smoke billows out of the structure. (Photo source: Pamela Riley Eaves)
MOSS POINT, MS (WLOX) -

A Moss Point couple lost their home of more than 50 years Saturday afternoon when a fire in their fireplace got out of control. 

Video from an eye witness shows firefighters pouring water on the roof as smoke billows out of the structure. 

Homeowner Leroy Spears said his wife, Betty, started a wood fire in the fireplace and went outside to check on him. A short while later they noticed smoke, and quickly realized it was coming from inside the home. They went back inside to put it out with water and called the fire department. 

Leroy said he didn't think it would take much to put the blaze out, but once they got back outside, he and his wife realized the chimney and some shingles were also on fire. 

Four fire trucks were on the scene, but it appeared that only one water hose was being used to extinguish the flames. 

We're told Leroy and Betty Spears have lived in this house for more than 50 years. 

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly